Even though we may love that bold floral dress or bright magenta top, it doesn’t mean it’s the best option for your senior pictures. Here’s a few things you should stay away from on your big day no matter what your skin tone:
1. Neon: while these bright colors may be fun for a night on the town, they aren’t that great for your senior pictures. Neon colors actually have the ability to cast their tones onto your face and give you an odd glow. They can also overpower your beautiful face and nobody wants that!
2. Busy Patterns: these kinds of outfits can drown you out in their loudness. Remember that the first thing we want to notice is YOU in your pictures… not a loud pattern that takes away from your face. If you’re wanting to wear a patterned dress or top, that’s totally ok, just make sure it’s a more subtle pattern. And, I would try and stick with only one or two soft patterns, so your album has a great flow!
3. Colors that don’t complement your skin tone: did you know that depending on your skin tone, there are colors that could totally wash you out and make you look drab? Yep! Want to know which skin tone works for your skin, and what we suggest? Click this link to read our blog post about skin tone and colors or click here to get our Skin Tone Colors guide!
4. Too much of one color- Color is amazing, but variety is even more amazing! Too much of any one color will make your session feel drab, especially if its all white, or all black. Instead, add those colors in with other options to give a braoder range of your style.
5. Giant logos- Unless its your new college, or your #1 fave brand, giant logos will only date your senior photos, and take away from YOU! Since the purpose of the photos are to be about you, thats definitely not the intention. So, instead, opt for no logos, or small logos.
6. Uber trendy fads- Yep, leave that crazy trend at home… or, if you LOVE it, opt for only ONE trend. Trends date your photos, and you want to look back at these and enjoy them. Instead opt for that trend on a small scale, or balance the trend with something very neutral.
7. Anything too short- whether its pants, shorts or a skirt, try and stay away from anything thats too short. Short skirts and shorts make it much harder to pose, since sitting poses, and certain standing poses are difficult. I am going to bet you would also spend time yanking on them to make them feel comfortable- and who wants to do that! When it comes to pants, make sure they are the correct length for the shoes you plan to wear. Always safer to be too long then too short!
Thanks to our fabulous Senior, Malia, who graduated in 2023 from Bartram Trail High School in St. Johns, Florida. Her outfits are a great description of what colors and styles work on her! She chose green which was great with both her skin tone, and her eyes, and the locations we chose for her pictures. Her outfits are timeless, while still bringing in colors that are fun, and her style. By selecting some bright colors and some neutrels, Malia has a timeless look, some fun personality looks, and all colors that are perfect for her! Don’t be afraid of color! Want to get our guide to the perfect colors for your skin tone? Click here!
Ready to start planning your senior pictures? Lets get started! Kelleen Hite is a senior portrait photographer based out of Jacksonville and St. Augustine Florida. Her goal is to create and amazing experience and revolutionary portraits so that every senior knows how awesome they are, and so that every parent can enjoy this fleeting moment. Kelleen is now booking for the class of 2024. To learn more about being a revolutionary KHP senior, click here.